Monday, May 17, 2021

Day 7 - San Antonio TX

Miles today: 300
Miles total: 2372

Another day of intermittent rain and dodging storms. I evaded the worst of it but there were some huge buildups in the vicinity.

First stop was - yes - another state capitol.


A pretty impressive capitol building. During the restoration in 1993 they excavated and built an underground extension to temporarily accommodate the government; the extension has a nice grille, making it the only capitol I’ve been to (that I can remember) where you can grab a coffee.  I asked the guide for an interesting fact about the building. I was told that it’s the only state capitol not paid for with public funds.  Instead the state bartered with a firm in Chicago and traded 3 million acres of land in the panhandle (which became the XIT ranch) to build it.  The architect was a firm from Detroit.
 
Since it wasn’t too far out of the way I stopped by the Mooney airplane factory in Kerrville.


It’s not open to the public but while I was taking pictures a guy came out and chatted with me for a bit.  Turns out he’s the head of quality control and the chief test pilot. I told him I’m a former owner of a 231; he has its successor, the 252.  They’re struggling at the moment, not producing any airplanes, and have only 16 active employees while they look for yet another investor/buyer.

Not far outside Kerrville is Stonehenge II:



1 comment:

  1. We’re enjoying your ride! It’s like we are following you on our own bikes! Don’t we wish!! We will hope for better weather for you!!
    Blessings,
    Karen and David🏍

    ReplyDelete