Thursday, May 13, 2021

Day 3 - Vicksburg MS

Miles today: 260

Miles total: 941

On the way out of Oxford I did briefly swing by the Faulkner house ... just so that I can say I saw it.

Most of the riding today was on the Natchez Trace Parkway. Even though it’s somewhat straight and flat it’s quite scenic and (more importantly) virtually unused. In 100+ miles I don’t think I saw more than a few dozen other vehicles on the road.

Stoped at the state capitol building in Jackson - what Mississippians call the “New Capitol” building (as in 1903 new).  I was underwhelmed, but in fairness they didn’t have any guided tours so there’s probably some obscure trivia that I missed out on.

I thought the Woolfolk State Office Building across the street was more interesting.

Final stop was the Vicksburg National Military Park.  Really impressive to drive through, with clearly marked battle lines and hundreds of monuments.

View from the hill guarding the river, or what used to be the river (the Mississippi moved further south after the war) 



1 comment:

  1. You are giving us a great history lessons along the way!!
    Blessings,
    Karen🏍

    ReplyDelete