Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Day 28 - Le Claire IA

Miles today: 346
Miles total: 9617

Basically I just followed the Mississippi River all day, along the Great River Road. 


About halfway down I stopped at the Effigy Mounds National Monument. After checking the hiking trail map it was clear the only thing I had time for was a visit to the Little Bear Mound, but the park ranger was eager for me to take an extra 10 minutes and see to the Great Bear Mound too. “It’s the biggest mound in the park.”  There’s a nice 3D model in the visitors center depicting the whole park; here are the Little & Great Bear Mounds.



So I huff and puff my way up the trail, in all of my riding gear (about a mile long and 350 vertical feet up), and this is what I saw.



Nothing but some weedscapes.

Moving  on ...

As a regular viewer of  “American Pickers” I figured I’d stop in the Antique Archeology store in Le Claire. 


They had a few interesting things from their picks but it was mostly a collection of TV show-themed t-shirts, stickers, refrigerator magnets, coffee mugs, aprons, beer glasses, and hats.



2 comments:

  1. Don’t you hate a Ranger’s over-sell?? At least the hike back was downhill….
    Our over-hype happened in Idaho when we were sent on an ‘easy’ hike to a jewel-like lake. Straight uphill, and not short, and dark clouds gathered. Jewel-like Lake was a speck, and any similarity to a jewel must have required sunlight. At least the thunderstorm hit about the time we made our run back downhill.
    Your weather looked nice yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice stop at Antique Archeology! Like that show too. Similar experience when I visit Gold and Silver Pawn Stars shop in Vegas, but I still will want to stop at the Le Claire store too!

    ReplyDelete