Thursday, June 17, 2021

Day 16 - Cayucos CA

Miles today: 189
Miles total: 5534

Got up at 3:30am Eastern to catch a 4am Uber to CLT for a 6am flight.  2 hour layover at DFW; flight to Fresno was delayed 1/2 hour to fix a broken seatbelt. Arrived in Fresno around 11am Pacific time.  Proceeded to take the shortest Uber ride I have ever taken because I was too hot and tired to walk from the terminal to the storage unit (just under 1 mile, approximately a 3 minute ride). The driver was strangely cheery and chatted me up for those 3 minutes though. 


Got the bike out of storage, reconnected the battery, repacked a few things, changed into riding gear, and signed out of the unit.  Just after I left Airport Mini-Storage I stopped to fill up but, because California gas stations have vapor return nozzles, I once again proceeded to spray myself with gas while trying to fiddle with the return hose so the pump would work.  So far I’m only about 50/50 filling the bike in California without making a mess.

Headed south from Fresno on a really uninteresting, flat, straight road, CA-41. And it was ridiculously  hot. For two hours it ranged between 105F and 108F.  At least at Shandon CA-41 suddenly became a really nice road with no traffic, lots of sweepers and small hills, good visibility in the corners, and excellent pavement. But it was still really hot. 

Just past Atascadero I could feel the temperature start to drop, and it steadily dropped about a degree every 30 seconds for the next 20 minutes. When I reached Morrow Bay on the Pacific it was 67F. 


From there I headed up the Pacific Coast Highway for only about 6 miles to Cayucos, a little beach resort town. 




1 comment:

  1. Ouch! Was worried about the heat out there! Looks and sounds much better as you head north. Beautiful shots - I need to get our map out.

    ReplyDelete